Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers
- Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers
- What is Silver Sneakers?
- What is Renew Active?
- Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers: How are they Similar?
- How They are Different: Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers
- Should Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers be a Deciding Factor on Your MA Plan?
Does it sometimes seem like Medicare and Insurance companies are trying to make things as complicated as they possibly can? Just when you think you have Medicare Advantage down, something else comes up! For example: Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers.
Not so very long ago, there was one main senior fitness program when you joined a Medicare Advantage Plan: SilverSneakers®. Then, in January 2019, one carrier dropped SilverSneakers and replaced it with Renew Active™. Many people were concerned when this first happened. However, it now seems like Renew Active is a reasonable replacement.
Who is Affected?
The people affected by the change to Renew Active are those that are a part of a Medicare Advantage Plan that has the program as a benefit. (In addition to those people considering whether or not to join their plan.) The majority of the other Medicare Advantage plans still use Silver Sneakers as their main plan.
How to Make a Decision?
If you are trying to decide on a Medicare Advantage Plan in your area, Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers may play a part in your decision. Exercise is very important for staying healthy and reliving stress during your Medicare years.
Let’s take a quick look at the two programs, how they are similar or different, and whether or not there are advantages to either one.
What is Silver Sneakers?
SilverSneakers® is a fitness and wellness program for seniors age 65 and up. It includes free gym memberships across the country, and it is included with many Medicare Advantage Plans.Click here to read our article: What is Silver Sneakers?
What does a SilverSneakers Membership Include?
- LOCAL GYM MEMBERSHIPS: Silver Sneakers has an extensive list of gyms that participate in their program that offers free gym memberships to seniors. Their website boasts having more gym facilities than there are Starbucks locations in the U.S. (at over 16,000).
- If you are a part of a Medicare Advantage (MA) program that uses Silver Sneakers, then you can access the gyms in their network at no cost. You can use as many of these facilities as you like while you are a part of your MA plan.
- ONLINE FITNESS CLASSES: If you prefer to workout at home, or do not have a physical location close to you, SilverSneakers offers online fitness classes.
- APP: They also have an app to help you track your fitness goals and schedule your fitness plans. The app can also help you locate participating locations.
What is Renew Active?
Renew Active™ is another program offered by a carrier with select Medicare Advantage plans. It also offers access to gyms and fitness places across the country.
What does a Renew Active Membership Include?
- GYM ACCESS: When we looked into all the benefits offered by Renew Active, we found the standard access to local gyms.
- BRAIN TRAINING: Interestingly, they also offered a unique feature of online brain training. The company partnered with BrainHQ to offer an app to keep your brain sharp with games and tools available on a PC or mobile device.
- The BrainHQ service is available for purchase from $8-$14 a month, so getting this included with your Renew membership does seem like a good deal.
Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers: How are they Similar?
When comparing Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers, you will find they are very similar in their main functions.
- To start, both programs offer free gym memberships at local fitness facilities.
- In addition, you can sign-up for multiple fitness locations with both memberships.
- Both plans offer at-home options for people that are too far away from any participating facilities.
- For at home options with Renew Active you must call their customer service phone number. Apparently, you can find this on the back of your health plan member ID.
- You can find SiliverSneakers at home programming information online here.
- Finally, Medicare Advantage Plans include one of these programs at no additional cost to plan members.
- (Some Medigap plans in certain states may have access to some sort of fitness benefit, but that is all dependent on the insurance company and the service area. This is not near as common. Mostly fitness plans are an extra benefit of Medicare Advantage plans.)
How They are Different: Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers
- The first difference we see at this time is Silver Sneakers seems to be in more facilities.
- SilverSneakers boasts over 16,000 locations.
- At the start of 2019, Renew Active mentioned over 7,000. However, it seems like their program has grown since that mention.
- Check the location searches for both programs to make sure your gym preference is covered.
- The second difference is that Renew Active has an online brain training application included, and Silver Sneakers does not (at the time I am writing this article).
- The BrainHQ app seems to retail at $8-$14 a month if you wanted to buy it separately, so that does suggest added value.
- We have not tried this app, and could not find a lot of research or reviews on the platform at the moment. Please leave a comment if you find something useful!
- In our Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers comparison, the third difference we see is that Silver Sneakers has an good list of online classes.
What’s Better About Silver Sneakers?
To start, if you are someone who likes to do workouts at home, and likes to stream different workouts online, Silver Sneakers has more to offer you in this area. Their online “on-demand” workout section boasts hundreds of online workouts available.
Also, Silver Sneakers seems to have the larger network of physical fitness facilities at this time.
What’s Better About Renew Active?
Renew Active is only associated with one carrier’s Medicare Advantage Plans. It’s major advantage over SilverSneakers seems to be the access to BrainHQ training games. It’s network might be a bit smaller than SilverSneakers, but it is still impressive and very useful.
Should Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers be a Deciding Factor on Your MA Plan?
In my opinion, there are much more important factors to consider when choosing a Medicare Advantage Plan than Renew Active vs Silver Sneakers. Your network access to doctors and medical providers should be your first consideration. Your drug plan and hospital facilities and costs should also be more important.
However, if all your plans seem comparable, your decision might include the convenience of using a local wellness facility, streaming exercises at home, or participating in brain health activities.
In this case, it is a great idea to hop onto the facility location tools and online resources for both Renew Active and Silver Sneakers. You can then make sure the program you choose covers your gym or desired services.